Swimming is an important part of summer and the Apachi experience. We want our campers to have fun and be safe in and around the water.
American Red Cross is the swim program we use across our camps. Our swim programs allow campers to learn at their own pace in a confidence-building environment. Safety is our priority and all members of our Aquatics staff are American Red Cross certified lifeguards with CPR training for the professional rescuer.
American Red Cross
American Red Cross’ Learn-to-Swim program focuses on building skills one step at a time. By giving campers the opportunity to master one element before moving on to the next, it makes it easy to build confidence in the water.
During their swim lessons, children will spend time on the following six levels:
- Level 1: Introduction to Water Skills: Students will learn how to feel comfortable in the water and safely enjoy it.
- Level 2: Fundamentals of Aquatic Skills: Children will learn basic swimming skills.
- Level 3: Stroke Development: Additional guided practice will help students improve their skills.
- Level 4: Stroke Improvement: Kids will gain confidence during swim lessons, improve their stroke and gain additional aquatic skills.
- Level 5: Stroke Refinement: Guidance allows kids to refine their strokes and become more efficient swimmers.
- Level 6: Swimming and Skill Proficiency: Students will learn to swim with ease and efficiency, and gain the ability to swim smoothly over greater distances. Swimmers will also have the option to participate in more advanced courses.
Testing, Placement and Progress Reports
Campers are tested at the beginning of summer and placed in an appropriate swim level based on their skills. They pass through levels based on both formal and informal testing. They’re also tested for endurance and water safety and may wear colored wrist bands noting their level. This way they can swim safely and comfortably in an appropriate swim area during free swim times. Progress reports are sent home during the summer with a summary of skills your child is working on and those already mastered.